Sunday, March 26, 2017

My Own March Madness

This month has been crazy for me. Not because I set up a basketball bracket and cheered on my team, I've never been big into sports of any kind, but because I have spent the last three weeks making pottery, grocery shopping for my hike, planning my hike, packing for my hike and thinking about my hike. I only have a little while longer to get ready for my thru-hike of the Ice Age Trail and I've got my first art show of the season thrown in for a little added extra fun stress.

Glazing everything, little by little.
I believe I have mentioned this before, but I plan to be gone for two months. That's two months I would normally have to get some extra pottery made for my summer show season and since I won't be around I had to do a little extra early and hope I have enough to keep my shelves stocked until I can get making again. I should be fine, especially with this last week I have gotten three glaze firings done. Add that to everything I have left from last year and everything I made earlier in the winter, I will be fine for at least a few shows.

The first firing of the month.
I have a show next Saturday in Phelps. It is actually a craft show and so I will be bringing my crocheted Kritters, my new sweater monsters, and my beaded sun catchers along with my pottery, but then I won't have another show until July, and I won't be available to mail out anything if anyone is looking for a Mother's Day present or shopping from my Facebook page. I do still have work at Chocolate's and More in Minocqua and a larger selection at Artistree gallery in Land O' Lakes.

The second firing.
Between making pottery and sweater monsters I have also been preparing my food packets for dinners on the trail. I have been testing assorted meals and making lists of the last few things I have to remember to buy. I've also been in contact with several of the chapter coordinators for the Ice Age Trail, getting some information about the trail itself and any tips and contact information that care to offer. It is appreciated, but however many tips and heads up I get I will still need to "hike my own hike."
The third firing.
I've heard this phrase from blog posts, magazine articles and a couple of the chapter coordinators have mentioned it. I can take everyone's suggestions for what I "need" to do, or what I  "should" do, or what I "should" bring, but then I'm not doing this for me and how I feel about what I need. Yes, I've asked for help, suggestions, tips, ideas, but ultimately I have to decide what is best for me and *MY* hike. If I took every suggestion for gear I should have (here is a partial list of what I'm taking), I'd have at least 5 more pounds of gear. If I hike the distances that have been suggested (part of my distance planning can be seen here), I'll still be walking in August. And if I take a hiking partner like has been suggested, the whole point of the trip will become null and I might as well not go. I'm sure I will want socialization at some point and welcome some chance encounters or people coming with me for a day now and then, but you know what? I am really looking forward to seeing what I am capable of on my own.

Getting dinner packets ready for the trail.

1 comment:

  1. Love you.....and for the last time (maybe), stay safe, be smart and have a rewarding experience!

    ReplyDelete