Friday, March 10, 2017

Tentative Schedule

I finished planning my daily miles for my Ice Age Trail thru-hike. If I keep to that schedule, which I probably won't, I will complete the hike in 58 days. There is still a lot of planning left, a few supplies to buy, and of course food planning, buying and sorting.

The last two pieces of gear I ordered, my tent footprint and
solar charger. The solar panel is a bit heavier that I expected
so I am going to try to reduce my pack weight elsewhere.
The next thing I want to do is go through the whole hike plan again, but this time enter every town where I could possibly get a resupply box. I want to get a box every 4-5 days. That means I would only have to carry about 10-12 pounds of food. That's about 2 pounds of food a day plus one extra day of food. I hope to have less food weight per day than that, but 2 pounds is what many resources have recommended. And at least in the beginning I can bring less food, because I tend to not eat much in general. Eventually I will have to add some more calories, but I can easily have a few crackers with peanut butter and raisins as an additional snack since I will be carrying them anyway.

I am not a big fan of dried fruits and veggies, I think I mentioned that once
before, but I did like the papaya and pineapple.
I also still want to email the trail chapter coordinators and the Ice Age Trail Alliance for tips in those areas of the trail where there are no camping options. Maybe they have suggestions or might offer to come collect me at the end of the day. And to just get general information about the trail.

There are a couple places where I might take an extra day simply because I know I will love being there, I can plan those as "rest" days. I want to be able to take my time and enjoy Parfreys Glen and Devils Lake State park in the Baraboo area. I went there on a Geology class field trip in high school and I was in awe of Parfreys Glen. And Devils Lake has shower facilities, I can maybe be clean for a day or two.

I am a part of the Facebook group, World's Biggest Marble Hunt,
I will be doing some hides while I hike. If you want to find one of the marbles
I hide, join the Facebook group and watch for my posts. I will be doing this
as a way to keep myself entertained and you all will have an advantage to
finding them since you already know where I will be.
I keep finding myself in tunnel vision. I can focus on getting one thing done then move on, but I'm having problems keeping up with all the things I have to do in order to get back into the reality of post-hike life. I spent a week making pottery and during that week I did no planning, I stopped going for walks and generally stressed about trying to multitask without actually accomplishing any multitasking. The last two days I have loaded the bisque kiln and today is my second bisque firing, which has left me with time to think about the hike again. The problem I am having is that I know I will immediately have to jump into art shows when I get back, and that requires having enough inventory on hand, since I am missing two months of work time, I have to make some extra work now, while I am also planning and preparing for the hike. Plus I want to be able to fully enjoy myself while I am hiking and not think about everything I will have to do when I get back. So if I can get most of it done now, I (hopefully) won't be thinking about it while I hike.


Tuesday28.639.310.73f4Moh's Mountain
Wednesday39.359.720.45f5Polk County Primitive Camping
Thursday59.775.315.66f8Burnett County Primitive Camping BW13
Friday75.39014.78f9Barron County Prim. Camping Bear Lake Segment
Saturday90113.223.210f10Barron County Primitive Camping BW3, rookery
Sunday113.2134.321.112f11North Lake Primitive Campsite, RU2
Monday134.3160.32615f14Primitive Campsite CH13
Tuesday160.318423.716f16Brunet Island State Park
Wednesday1842092517-19f16Otter Lake County Park
Thursday209229.220.221f18Taylor Cty. Chequamegon Forest Primitive Camping
Friday229.224919.822f19Chequamegon Forest Primitive Camping
Saturday2492692024f20Taylor County Forest Primitive Camping
Sunday269293.824.826f21Taylor County Forest Primitive Camping
Monday293.8315.82228f24Turtle Rock Segment
Tuesday315.8339.223.429f26Underdown Segment Primitive Camping
Wednesday339.2364.525.331f29Langlade County Adirondack Shelter or Primitive
Thursday364.5384.920.433f30Camp Susan's Prim. Camp. Highland Lakes Eastern
Just a little of my 58 day plan. The day of the week, start mileage, end mileage, total daily miles, map number from the atlas, page number in the databook and where I hope to camp that night. Of course these are guesses, estimates for how far I can hike in a day and some are simply the next available camping area. The final will also include where I will pick up my boxes, the contact numbers for the places I plan to camp (if I need to make reservations), and the post offices I will visit.

1 comment: