Thursday, January 12, 2017

Courage

Some people call them "buzz words" or simply "word of the year," either way it is a word you pick to be your focus. How you are going to choose to live the following year. Last year I chose "Fearless" and I painted a banner to hang above my door where I could see it whenever I looked toward the kitchen. Last year I tried to Be a Daily Creative and the painting of the banner was one of those creative choices. I've already noticed this year I have done something creative every day with out needing to actively think about it. Anyway, this year I chose the word "Courage." To many people these two words may mean the same thing. I think fearless is a little more dramatic than courage. To be fearless means to be without fear. To have courage means acting despite, or in spite of fear.

My words to live by.
Last year "fearless" did get me out the door on a few adventures. Well fearless and a kick in the pants from a friend. My First Adventure took me to a couple places I had never been and from there I began my other Adventures. Fearless even got me out to Colorado for some hiking and backpacking with a friend. This year I claim "Courage" as my word and I added it to my banner instead of painting a whole new banner.

I have to keep making pottery, there is no question about that. With nearly 1800 pounds of clay and all the equipment I can't simply walk away from it. I may not be able to walk away, but I can start on something new. And maybe that will be my watercolors. I got an idea on the winter solstice this year for a painting and maybe a week later I began sketching and painting. I think I am done with it, I haven't decided yet, but it is the first in a series I hope to finish this year. This first one is called "Winter Solstice." Perhaps sometime in the near future Katlyn Koester Designs will include watercolors for sale.


I must have had a premonition or something in college when I picked the name I wanted to have on my business cards. Not "Katlyn Koester Pottery," something must have told me I'd never be happy with only pottery. So now I can include all my assorted artworks under one business card and continue to be Katlyn Koester Designs.

1 comment: