Wednesday, July 27, 2016

First pieces of gear!

It's official! I've begun ordering gear for my hike and the first couple things arrived in the mail today.

I know it's backpacking gear and I know it's supposed to be small and lightweight, but when I opened the box today and saw how small my sleeping pad is all deflated and folded up I had a moment of "really?" I mean it's the same size as my Nalgene bottle and only weighs 16 oz.

And my trekking poles. All folded up they are about two feet long. The pair only weighs 14 oz.

I think I could get used to this. Blowing it up may take some getting used to. And staying in the middle of the pad since I tend to move around a lot when I'm trying to fall asleep, but then again, the whole trip may take some getting used to. You know, hiking upwards of 15 miles a day. Hopefully.

Now I'll have to start keeping track of what gear I have, what I need and what gear I can do without. I also need to find somewhere to store everything until I go on my practice hike this fall. I also need to do something about food...

(I've written this whole post on my phone. I'm hoping to keep everyone updated while I'm on the trail and I'll have to manage blogging with nothing more than my phone and a solar charger. Should be interesting. Or frustrating. I guess we'll see.)

No comments:

Post a Comment