Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Second Adventure: Part 3

After playing on the beach at Little Girl's Point and visiting all the waterfalls, I headed out to Black River Harbor. I really wanted to find some agates and someone who could tell me I had in fact found some. I also wanted to draw the suspension bridge that crosses the river.

I had intended to do some sketching of the various waterfalls, but I never took my paper out of my backpack. So when I got to the harbor the first thing I did was sit down and draw the bridge. The bridge is a part of the North Country Trail, too.

The sign on the bridge is one of the blazes showing the North Country Trail route.
This is when I got to speak with some of the people on the college trip. One of the chaperones joked with me that he just hoped that by the time the students got out of college they would know how to tie their shoes and wipes their backsides. This was in reference to how some of the students walked down to the beach without their shoes and then complained about the path being gravel. I wasn't sure how to respond, I sort of chuckled because it was funny, but I didn't know how seriously to take him.
The bridge from my bench.

Anyways, I finished my sketch then took a break up at my car and headed back down to the beach. I plopped myself down about halfway between some of the college students and a man who was agate hunting. I started to "dry agate" as this man called it, just shifting the rocks around to find agates. Other than some sea glass and pretty rocks I wasn't sure I had found anything. So I took my maybe-an-agate and asked him if it was.

He said he didn't think so, and he didn't have a good example to show me what an agate did look like. He had a couple that he was going to polish and see if they were. About two minutes later as I was heading back to my spot I heard him call out, "I found one!" He gave that one to me as an example. I then quickly found three others and realized I must have thrown several of those back earlier in the day because I didn't think they were agates. Go figure.

The confirmed agates. The one in the top left is the one given to me, I think the one
on the top right is pretty awesome, the agate is still in its host rock.
I ended up with the three I had found, the one he gave to me, and a small collection of unconfirmed but suspected agates. I also have a small collection of sea glass and some pretty rocks.

My unconfirmed agates, though some look pretty obviously agatey to me.
My sea glass.
The pretty rocks I found, the trapezoid one in the middle has a flower pattern on it.
Something else I found a few of, wishing stones. These stones can be any size but they must have a single solid band of another color (usually white/quartz) around them. There can't be any offshoots or other bands (although I saw one site says there can be more bands, but they too have to be solid). The story is if you make a wish on a wishing stone it will help the wish to come true. However there are three separate stories, you have to either: keep the stone(s) close to you, give them away, or throw them back into whatever water source they came from. I'm keeping mine because I think they are cool.

Wishing stones.
At the end of my adventure I head to leave because I was tired, but also because the black flies had discovered I make a tasty meal and the sun was cooking my brains and even though I had applied sunscreen, my arms. The drive home was unexpectedly short, but I still didn't get home until about 6:30.

A fly landed on my camera lens when I took the picture, but there is a tiny figure
out there on the beach, that is the man that gave me the first agate.
I haven't decided where to go on my next adventure yet, but thanks for joining me on this one. I really am having fun with this discovering who I am on my own and what I really want to do! So until next time find an adventure of your own and see who you are!

1 comment: