Saturday, May 21, 2016

My Second Adventure: Part 2

Well after digging through the pebbles on Little Girl's Point and not really sure I'd found anything, I took the directions from the couple I met, since my phone has no signal up there and my Wisconsin map only shows the roads and not the names of that section of Michigan, and headed over to Black River Harbor.

Seriously easy to get there from Little Girl's Point.

I have a hard time imagining flying off this thing with nothing more than skis.
The road that goes to the harbor has a little offshoot that goes past the Copper Peak Ski Jump. You can get rides to the top in season. I drove by just to see, you can see the top of it from the main road, but it isn't as cool as being at the base of the jump, however if you do decide to check it out, don't, I repeat Do NOT continue on that road to meet up with the main road at the other side. Turn around and follow the nicely paved, well cared for blacktop road that you came in on. The other half is extremely worn out, potholed, washed out and really only half there. You'll spend more time dodging holes than watching for traffic coming at you, although I think all the locals know not to go that way.

Anyway, after my death defying drive down what should have been a simple detour, I made my way to the first of four scenic spots to hike to and view waterfalls. I visited them all.

This was the easiest hike of the four, allowing a little time for dancing in the woods.
I started with a lunch break in the parking lot of Conglomerate Falls. No picnic benches, I just opened the backseat door of my van and sat on my blanket and enjoyed my lunch in the peaceful almost quiet of nature. I don't think any cars even drove by.

After lunch I made my way down the trail to a look out deck, there was only one couple on the trail, one of the benefits of going before summer vacation starts for the schools if you don't have any kids you want to bring along.

Next was Gorge Falls. The path I took was only 400 feet to the lookout, but it was pretty much all stairs going back up. And this was the smallest staircase of the last three waterfalls.

Really is in a gorge, the walls tower above the river here.
Looking down the gorge from the falls.
Next was Sandstone Falls. You can probably see that I am getting quite red in the face. While it wasn't particularly a hot day, I was exerting myself more than usual.


Which the park services are nice enough to warn you about.

Really take your time climbing back up this trail. There are a lot of steps and they
are taller than your average stairs, plus they are a little washed out and kind of crooked.

There was a college group at these falls, you can just see two of their chaperones sitting in the upper right corner. Later I found out that the group was supposed to be going to Canada for their trip and ended up sitting at the border for an hour and a half before they were told they couldn't come into Canada. So they came back to explore Michigan.

The last falls before you get to the harbor is Rainbow Falls. I like this one the most, not because the lookout point has the best view of the falls, because it really doesn't, but because it has a constant rainbow in the mist created by the falls.
Distances listed for the North Country Trail backpackers.
The rainbow.
Everyone has probably heard of the Appalachian Trail, and now thanks to the book and movie "Wild" many people are aware of the Pacific Crest Trail, but did you know there is a trail that runs 4,600 miles from North Dakota to New York? And that it passes through this spot on the Black River and later through the Porcupine Mountains National Scenic Park?  I never realized this until I started doing a little research on the Pacific Crest Trail and discovered there are actually eleven designated Scenic Trails in the United States. The Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin is one of them too.


Blue blazes marking the North Country Trail.
I went a dozen or more paces down the trail, just to say I did. I was contemplating actually hiking the full 4,600 miles when I looked down and saw a grey feather. According to one site, a grey feather means peace and neutrality (middle of black and white), authentic[ity], flexibility. I'm not sure how this relates to my thoughts on hiking or backpacking the North Country Trail, but I have been considering hiking the 1,200 mile Ice Age Trail. And have started training for this potential 2-4 month excursion. (Read about my interest in feather color here.)


At the river's edge. You can get a better view of the falls from the little lip
of rock immediately under the viewing platform, although the signs warn against it.
A lot of things to see on hikes. Also a lot of time to think about everything and wonder about things. Internal musings, the world around you, choices you've made or have yet to make. I had one more stop on this adventure and then it was enough for the day. I'll share the end of my story for this adventure later.


No comments:

Post a Comment