Monday, November 7, 2016

Marble Hunt Turned Introspect

I went on a little adventure yesterday. Only lasted about 7.5 hours. I drove up to the U.P. in search of a marble. Unfortunately I didn't find it. I spent three hours driving up there, an hour looking under the roots of every tree hanging off the side of a ravine on these little waterfalls for a glimpse of a bright orange marble, and couldn't find it. The person who hid it couldn't remember exactly where it was hidden and had only taken two pictures, so there was no reference point for me to determine if I was even close to it.
At the top of the falls. Looked very fairy land.
I went up and down the falls, both on the river and on the trail above, at least three times. I got to the top of the falls and then headed back down, checking and rechecking the tree roots. Not quite the same experience as my first find. The area was beautiful though. After searching and when my legs started to shake from going up and down so many times I admitted defeat. I don't know if I just missed the marble, or if it was washed away from a storm or muggled. (Found by someone who doesn't know about the World's Biggest Marble Hunt.) I did find a crumpled cheddar chip bag stuffed into a little hole under one tree that looked like it could have been the tree I was searching for.

Lake Superior
After giving up I drove a little way back home, found this piece of shore and sat down to watch the water while having lunch. The sun was warm, but with the breeze coming off the lake I got a little chilly. Then I drove the three hours home. 

I don't know what these marbles mean to me. Is it the thrill of the hunt? The thrill of the find? Is it the sense of accomplishment of finding one? A sense I'm afraid I often lack in my daily life. Whatever it is, I find myself wishing there were more marbles being "lost" closer to home. I also wish that I could start making marbles and then being the one who hides them. Another one of my attempts at figuring out what really makes me happy. I've had many attempts to find something I really truly enjoy over and over. Something that I love so much it doesn't matter if I ever make a living doing it, I can be happy just to have that one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment