Friday, June 24, 2016

Mug Throwing Demonstration

I don't demonstrate a lot. Basically only when friends come over and ask to see. I never volunteer to demonstrate. I went back to my high school a couple years ago and demonstrated to the pottery classes and last year I participated in the first medieval faire, now called the Renaissance Faire, and borrowed a small portable wheel to demonstrate there.
My wheel is the wooden box in the front corner of my tent.

I've never been really good at talking while my hands are occupied, so when I demonstrate, typically I can't both throw a pot and describe what I am doing at the same time. I thought I would try this instead. So here's a video on my Facebook page (it was too large of a file to post here) from my mug throwing today. I still didn't talk while I was throwing, but at least you can see how I throw. Every potter has their own style of throwing. Each time I watched a demonstration from a potter or took classes from a potter I learned something new and tried their techniques to see it my throwing would benefit from it. Plus having sprained my wrist when I was younger, I've adapted to make throwing less painful for myself.

Some of the pots I threw at the faire last year.
It's my first time trying this, and I filmed by wedging my phone onto a collapsible easel. So if the quality is a little off, bear with me, I may try again with a bowl or something some other time. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Looked very good.....you made it look effortless (as always!!!)

    ReplyDelete