Thursday, April 13, 2017

Ice Age Trail Thru-Hike, Days 1-2

I started my hike on a hot humid April day. I almost immediately realized my pack was too heavy and going to be the death of me. So when I met my parents in town a couple hours later I gave them my solar charger, my fleece blanket (which I kind of want, but not, because of the weight), my lint roller that I was going to use for ticks, and the lightweight day pack that was going to keep me organized. (I'm also missing that, I keep having trouble finding my small things I was keeping in there.)

The walk was beautiful, and I'm sure it will be more so when everything turns green for summer. Mostly I was greeted by small spring flowers, wild and in front yards. I managed to do a painting, part on my hike and part once I reached my site.

My first night. Ah that wondrous night when the water laps gently against the shore, when you get to sit at the picnic table and enjoy the view while you eat dinner. When the thunder, rain, wind, and lightening chase you under your poncho draped across the picnic table to finish cooking your dinner under the table then into your tent where you realize there is no way you can enjoy your slightly undercooked and underflavored tortellini while you pray fervently to whatever god or spirit will listen to you to please don't let you die on your first night of your big adventure. Yes, I sat in my tent with Shreds clutched in my trembling hands wondering what the hell I was doing. Then it got quiet, I had my dinner and went out to the edge of the river and finished my painting. 

I was also sending messages to my mom and responding to comments on an Ice Age Trail hiker group where I had left a comment about the storm.

I didn't sleep at all since it stormed a second time and maybe a third. By that time all I could manage was to huddle in my sleeping bag, again clutching Shreds, wondering why I thought a thru hike was a good idea. 

Day two started out ok. I had to wipe moisture from every part of my tent, wipe away mud, and start airing out my sleeping pad, which somehow got wet through the bottom of the tent. I eventually got packed up and headed out, breakfast in hand, at 7:30.

I took some pictures on my camera, but there wasn't much to see. Half of the walk today was uphill on a road. Seriously, that road went uphill about 9/10 of the time. I spent a lot of time cursing hills.

And then the wind picked up and I thankfully found myself at a rest stop for the Gandy Dancer segment where I filed my water, charged my phone, and had lunch. With my shoes off. Shortly after leaving the nice, comfy rest stop, it got cold. Cold enough that I could see my breath. And then it started to ice rain. Sharp frozen shards of half frozen rain started to fall, then fell until I was almost at my end point.

I didn't get to stop and have anything to eat or take off my pack so by the time I saw the sign for Cafe Wren, at about 4:20, I was ready to fall over. I didn't think if I set down my pack I would be able to pick it back up. And I was again questioning my sanity.

I had a nice dinner that I didn't have to cook and the women working were very nice, we talked a bit while they cleaned up and closed for the night. Then one offered me hot water with honey and lemon to keep me warm while I set up camp, tasted like the nectar of the gods. And then I got a little more trail magic and a big hug.

I got my tent set up just before the ice rain started again. And that continued the rest of the evening. Gives new meaning to ICE Age Trail. So glad my sleeping bag is rated to 20 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment