Thursday, April 28, 2016

Catching up!

I've been away for a while, a long while. Definitely a lot longer than I had intended to go between posts when I started writing. So here's an update of what I've been up to.

I spent a week with my sister-in-law, hanging out and playing with my nephew. Over the course of that week we watched some movies, had some girl talk, went out to eat, went shopping, kept watch over my nephew as he has gotten more and more mobile, and while he slept we relaxed and I tried to do some more hand piecing.

I had started this square before I left home and I finished it while I was with my sister-in-law. I'm going to have to put a small border on it, all my other squares seen here, are 4 1/2 inches, this one is not quite there.


I decided to try applique with my next square. I don't like applique, or I don't have the technique and therefore made it more difficult than I thought it would be. Either way, I may end up with only one applique piece in my whole finished quilt.


I gave my box of scraps to my sister-in-law and asked her to pick out scraps for me to use in squares and pin them together. This is what she gave me. The red pieces on the left have started to become a square, she pulled out the reds and I combined them with some scraps of muslin. So far I have been picking out pieces and making a square that works with those pieces, now I need to find a square that will work with what I have bundled. It feels opposite of what I had been doing so it's a little more complicated in my mind.



While we were shopping I had hoped to find the yarn I needed to finish these two Kritters. I ended up looking at a few stores and not finding it before I just ordered the yarn online. That came last week so I hope to finish these guys as soon as I get back into making things. I did finish all the pieces for another Kritter, and I have only to assemble him now.

This week I found myself sculpting in the studio instead of throwing pots on the wheel. I made this bust sculpture seen on my Facebook page, Katlyn Koester Designs, and I started a little dragon sculpture. I like completing slow process pieces, but I get very frustrated while they are in progress and the little dragon is taking some extra thinking to complete.

My handkerchief quilt (seen here) is still without a border. I have the fabric for the borders and squares made for the corners, I just need to get going and assemble the rest of it. I also keep looking at the rest of my fabric stash trying to decide if there is another quick pieced quilt waiting to happen. If I can get some more quilts completed, I'd really like to donate some to a women's shelter or similar organization.

Spring has started to come through, and I hope with the warming weather I get more motivated in the studio. I'll have to with shows starting up in full force for me in a little more than a month. 

I am constantly discovering things about myself. Whether those things are good, bad, dreams, hopes, wishes, or solidifying an image I already had of myself, I hope to learn to use them as motivation in making my life what I hope it to be. My perception of myself changes almost as constantly as the weather changes seasons and the flowers appearing in the still dormant landscape. Maybe I'll have to expand on that thought in a different post. But for now, Hi, sorry I disappeared for a while there, I think I'm back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment