Friday, March 18, 2016

Trying to be Productive!

It's been a slow week for creativeness. I have been doing things, but mostly I'm waiting for pots to dry so I can load the kiln for a bisque firing.

Pitchers for a maple syrup fest in  Phelps on April 2nd.
I ordered some new chemicals for glaze making. I have an idea that I'm working on. Well actually a couple of new ideas. One is a reworked idea from something I did a long time ago, shortly after I first learned how to do pottery. I'll let you all know how that turns out once I get some things finished there. And the other is some beads.
Some star studded items and my box of bisqued beads in the background.

I'm trying to find something easy for me to make that kids would be able to buy for themselves. I always loved buying beads individually at the bead stores, and if I provide small pieces of cording the kids would be able to turn the beads into bracelets right there. I'm mostly hoping to have some of these for the Renaissance Faire in September that I will be a vendor at. There are going to be two days of school field trips this year and last year I didn't really have anything for the kids to afford.

Just waiting for everything to dry!
Something else I've been working on is getting my crocheted Kritters restocked. I make brightly colored crocheted animals that I call Katlyn's Kritters and over the last few months I haven't really been interested in crocheting so my stock of those has been dwindling. This week I've finished three, I have one ready to be assembled, and one is still missing a few pieces. I also have a request for one for a baby shower.

Special order bear.
And a special order duck.
Got a pig done!
I was working on these one time up at Artistree Gallery where I am a member, and one of the other artists came by and told me it look like a stuffed animal massacre. I had pieces of animals and stuffing laying all over the table I was working on. I told them I felt like Dr. Frankenstein, sewing them all back together!

The pieces of a bunny, I started stuffing this one, just have to assemble it now.
Something else I've tried several times this week is to turn my first skein of hand spun yarn into a hat. You know, because now that winter is almost over I'm going to need a new wool hat. Although sarcasm aside, this is northern Wisconsin and we did just have a snow storm dump another 4 or so inches on us and we could get several more inches yet before May, so a new hat isn't really an odd idea. My problem now is that having tried three times to make this hat, and having pulled it apart three times, I'm not sure this yarn is going to work for anything I have to follow a pattern for. It definitely does not meet the specified stitches per inch gauge.

A large cat I started before Thanksgiving and lost interest in, but I'm going to finish him!

So I have been around and trying to be productive, I've just had a lot of things in progress and nothing finished to share. I always feel a little discouraged when this happens. I like when I finish things and going a week or more without any successfully finished items makes me feel like I've been slacking even though I know I've been working.

2 comments:

  1. Love your writing Kate......keep it up!!!! Can't wait to see the new-fashioned from an old idea pottery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty excited to start working on that new style! Just waiting for a couple more colors to come so I can make test tiles.

      Delete