Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Prepping for the Renaissance Faire.

My booth last year, some things will get changed though not much.
I have spent the better part of the last couple weeks getting ready for the Renaissance Faire in September. Although I have yet to bring out my tent disguise and signs, I have been thinking about how I need to set up my tent and which shelves I will need to take with me in order to have enough space to display all my work.
One of the several from my clan of dragons I'll have at the faire this year.

And not to mention the time I have spent making the Renaissance specific pottery. I have a few things yet to even start making, but I think I have a fairly good start on all of it.

A creature yarn bowl, I have a couple more in various stages of completeness.
I have a small collection of whistles, and I'd like to make some more if I can get them to work. I have some baby dragon rattles ready to be glaze fired and assorted work in every stage of being done.

A new star studded mug.
Today I went to Rhinelander to gather supplies, and after looking all over Minocqua for incense, I finally found some at Hobby Lobby. I also found candle wick, cord for my pendants, and buttons and grommets for my dad's costume. So now I can finish that.

New beads and pendants drying.
I made some more beads to add to my display I found at the flea market this week and I'm pretty excited about the beads and the display. I'm hoping some of the kids who come this year for school field trips find my bead display and I'll have some extra pieces of cord so they can tie the beads into bracelets or necklaces.
The cash register drawers I found at the flea market to use for my bead display.

What I haven't found or done yet are things that aren't exactly make or break for my display so I'm not worried that it isn't all going to happen. Maybe I'll have those things by next year. Maybe.

I'm pretty proud of my guild sign from last year, I kind of wish
though that I had put "Pottery" instead of "Potter." someone came
looking for Harry last year.

I've also spent some time wondering what it would be like to be a vendor at one of the big, established Renaissance Faires. There's Bristol to the south and Shakopee to the west. I like making the little things, so if I could make a tinker cart display and only take the small stuff (lots of it), would it be worthwhile for me? I wouldn't have to worry about packing as much, it would fit into a couple of boxes, nor would I have to worry about breakage as much. Just thinking. Maybe I could try that someday. My sister-in-law and I are going to be spectators, or whatever visitors to the faire are called, this year after I've done the faire here. If nothing else I can see how people set up booths and cry their wares and I can adjust for next year.

My friend and fellow potter Tammy, one of the organizers Paisley,
and me in costume in front of my booth last year.
All of this Renaissance Faire stuff really plays into  My Mystical Side and I love dressing up for it. The problem I have is when people are in character, playing their parts. It is a big production, a play and the people are actors, I too am supposed to be in character, but I've never been the theatrical type and don't know how to come out of my shell when I might see people who know me as the quiet one. I always revert to who people expect me to be, I'd love to be able to come out of my shell and 'play the part' this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment